Sunday, November 27, 2011

For my Grandpa


Claron Chipman Spencer
1930 ~ 2011

On November 15, my Grandpa Spencer returned home to our Heavenly Father and was reunited with my grandma. What a happy day it was. I was filled with feelings of gratitude for the knowledge I had of Heavenly Father's plan for us. I knew that he was home with his family. I knew that on the night that he passed that he was free from his pain and welcomed to a better place.

I flew home a couple of days later to go to the funeral. Unfortunately Gabe couldn't be with me due to school. It was good to be with my family and to see my cousins and aunts and uncles. It was an amazing funeral. My grandpa was always a teacher, always a missionary. Even in his passing, he taught me about the gospel and the plan of salvation. He taught me to pray everyday. He taught me to read the Book of Mormon everyday. He taught me to attend the temple. And he taught me that if I have a relationship with my Savior, everything else will fall into place. Thank you Grandpa for your example. Until we meet again...

The Pallbearers
The fam on a beautiful Salt Lake Saturday


After my grandma passed eight years ago, my grandpa's siblings came and put chimes up in the trees above her grave. They still chime today :)
Chimes for my grandparents




A little more about my grandpa:

Beloved husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, Claron Chipman Spencer, died November 15, 2011 in Salt Lake City. He was born March 26, 1930 in Salt Lake City, the eldest of five children born to Claron Ostler and Bertha Chipman Spencer. Claron married Joan Blackhurst on September 10, 1952 and they moved to Washington, D.C. shortly thereafter, where he earned his law degree from George Washington University and they became the parents of five children. Upon returning to Salt Lake City to live, Claron introduced the family to skiing and every Saturday morning provided a ride to Alta to catch the first lift. Missionary work was always Claron's greatest passion, and he and Joan went on to serve three missions together, first in Florida, Tallahassee, as a mission president, then as missionaries in East Malaysia and New Zealand. In their last years together, they served as temple workers at the Washington D.C. temple. Claron's second wife was Virginia Taylor, and they served a mission together in London, England. After Virginia's passing, Claron married Bonnie Evans and they were very active together working at the Salt Lake Temple and Conference Center. Bonnie provided love and care during Claron's later years. Claron was a respected attorney and active member of the Utah State Bar from 1966 until 1993. He is survived by his wife Bonnie; children Claron B. (Chip)(Caroline), Salt Lake City, Shauna, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Stephen B. (Wendy), Salt Lake City, Timothy B., Munich, Germany, Mary Jane Snyder (Michael), Salt Lake City; 11 grandchildren, Weston (Ashley), Abigail (Gabe), Max, Lauren, Sam, Daniel, Wolfgang, Truman, Tao, Roxanna and Alicia; two great-grandchildren Hailey and Colton; sisters Drew Timpson and Claudia Sadler and brother Edward C. Spencer. Funeral services will be held Saturday, November 19, 2011, 12 noon at the Forestview Ward, 1111 East Charlton (2818 South). Friends and family may call at Larkin Sunset Lawn, 2350 East 1300 South, Friday evening from 6-8 pm and at 11:00 am, one hour prior to services at the ward. Interment at Salt Lake City Cemetery. Online condolences may be sent to the family atwww.larkincares.com.

1 comment:

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

So sorry for you loss Abbs but what beautiful words, I'm so glad that it is a wonderful thing and that he's back with his sweet wife again. Love the chimes. Love your fam. You look amazing and I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!! Love you and baby L.