Monday, February 8, 2010

Our awesome weekend....

What a fun weekend and eventful weekend we had!  First off and foremost, I must say that I have got the coolest brother in the world!  Let me explain... This last Friday night Weston had his White Coat ceremony at Loma Linda, the dental school he's been attending for the last four years.  My mom and dad flew out for the occasion and we got to see Wes recieve his White Coat.  What a cool event it was.  
As a little sister, I am one of Weston's biggest fans.  I've always looked up to Wes, and thought he was just the coolest.  Growing up behind him and going to the same schools, older kids along with coaches and teachers would always ask if I was Weston's little sister.  When I would proudly say, "Yes", they would always respond with a comment about how great he was, what a great athlete, or how lucky I was to have such a cool older brother.  I already knew that. I've always been proud to be his younger sister, but there have been a few moments that I have watched him and thought, "WOW, He is really amazing", and, "That's MY big brother"...   First was when he won the 4A state championship football game at Olympus High School.  I was only in 7th grade at the time, and ran onto the field, right after Wes had caught an interception in the last few seconds of the game. All of Olympus celebrated with the State Champions, including my brother.  I gave him a huge hug in his sweaty football gear, and felt so proud to be his little sister.  I bragged out my brother for years... (still bragging).  Secondly, when he gave his homecoming talk after he had served a full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints to Tokyo, Japan.  I listened in awe at the testimony he had gained, the love for the people of Tokyo and how in the world he learned to speak the crazy, insane Japanese language. And now on this night, I watched Wes from the Balcony of the Loma Linda Chapel and watched my older brother, the President of his class, hand out white coats to the rest of his class, and then finally heard the last name read: "President Weston Spencer." Once again those words entered my head: "That's MY big brother!" 
Weston handing out the white coats to his class.

After getting his name called,


And putting on his White Coat
Dr. Weston Spencer D.D.S

Congrats Wes!  Gabe and I are so proud of you, and so proud to be your little sister!


The next night, Gabe and I busted open the Valentine's gift my mom and dad gave us.  An air popcorn popper.  We love it and keep popping bowls full of popcorn. Texas loves it too.  Some of the pieces don't make it in the bowl and fly onto the floor. Texas is then on clean up duty and loves the extra treats.  Thank you mom and dad!  It was so good to see you, even for a short little bit!
HAPPY SUPERBOWL SUNDAY!!! 
I love the super bowl!!! While growing up, I never really loved football, but my family would always gather at Grammy and Grampa's for a huge food extravaganza! I just loved getting together with everyone and munching on goodies all game.  As I got older, my love for football has grown, and now SuperBowl is just Super Fun!!! Since we live 10 hours away from Grammy's, we couldn't spend SuperBowl with the fam, so Gabe and I decided we would have our own little party, just the two of us.  As long as your best friend is there, (that would be Gabe) it's bound to be an awesome party.... and Awesome it was!
 I don't keep up with the NFL, so I didn't really have a valid opinion on who to root for, so I went with the COLTS, for one reason only.  My Uncle Todd is a HUGE Colts fan.  I remember the last time the colts won the Super Bowl.  Todd showed up with his Colts shirt on and his Colts hat, and waved his huge Colt's Blanket every time the Colts scored a Touch down.  So I joined my uncle Todd this SuperBowl and rooted for the Colts.  I changed my mind in the last quarter when the Colts weren't going to win... and rooted for the Saints.  See, you can tell how much I cared about the outcome.  It didn't matter to me, spending the night cooking and eating at our own little SuperBowl Party turned out to be one of the best Super bowls yet! 


One of the best things about the night... I got to finally use my football platter that my cute mother-in-law, Janice, gave me for Christmas.  I absolutely love this thing and have been dying to pull it out of my cuboard and use it.  
We marinated the Chicken legs over night in our own special citrus caribbean marinade.  They were the best chicken legs I've ever tasted. The bad thing is that I don't even remember everything we threw in there.  I don't know how to make them again!
We had so much fun getting ready for the Super bowl!  We started cooking after church and cooked right up until kick off. Our kitchen is BINSY so it looked like a tornado had hit it... but the Tastiness was well worth the clean up!
Gabe glazing the chicken
The MOST delicious Carribbean Chicken Legs you'll ever taste!
Gabe made his own version of Fried Chicken legs and they were YUMMY!!! We also had what we call, "Grandpa Jack Potatoes" meaning FRIED!  We weren't, by any means, skimping on the calories this SuperBowl Sunday!
"The final Spread"  We got it all out on the table right as The Colts Kicked off to the Saints. It was perfect timing.  Our Super Bowl EXTRAVAGANZA consisted of Brats with Onions and Mustard, 7-Layer dip and Chips, Chicken Legs: Fried and Caribbean, Cheesey Potatoe Skins, and "Grandpa Jack Potatoes".  Oh, And Pepsi One... only One Calorie.  (We're watching our weight)
I think our eyes were a whole lot bigger than our tummies.  We ended up putting way more than half of that in the fridge for left overs... looks like it'll be a superbowl dinner all week!
Congrats to the New Orleans Saints!  Oh and the Dorito commercials... amazing, my favorite!

4 comments:

Erica said...

oh abbs, you cute girl!! miss you. i love that i can see my christmas card on your magnet board in one of the photos... pretty sure it made my day!!

NatBug said...

You two are so dang funny, you made enough food to feed yourselves and all of Gabe's brothers! Sure looked good though. Love 'Grandpa Jack's Potatpes' by the way, we cook them all the time too! The boys are addicted!

lifeisapicnic said...

what great food! looks fun abbs! what great kids I have! we are proud of you all!!! mom

Jessi said...

Abs! I love your blog. I'm so impressed that you put that much effort into your cute little superbowl party! You guys look like you know what you're doing when it comes to the cooking! I love to cook too, but you guys are way more creative than me! Ha ha

Well, I hope you two are doing great. Married life is the best, idn't it? Miss you and love you and pray for your health and happiness,

Jessi (Durrant) Henrie