Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter HI-JACKING


















Happy Easter Everyone!


I found this picture--when I should have been writing a paper on US natural gas exportation... (I know really?!?!)--and decided to hijack Abby's blog for a small Easter post. I hope I don't overstep my bounds by posting this, I don't mean it to be a bragy or overly-religous, so please don't take offense to anything I say below.


I wanted to post this for three reasons: 1) Let Abby know how grateful I am to have her in my life 2) Thank Abby for the gift of Londyn and how thankful I am to be a Dad and 3) Share a bit of how grateful I am for a loving Savior and Redeemer who died for me and you--Jesus Christ. I could write for hours on those subjects but I'll try to just keep it short and sweet.


This last week we had the chance to visit n Utah and see our awesome family. Abby and Londyn flew up to Utah a week or so earlier than I did. Abby being gone for 10 days gave me the chance to realize how big of a part of my life and how much she does for me. Nothing like 10 days being a bachelor to remind me exactly why I got married. Don't get me wrong, I don't need Abby in a cook/clean for me kinda way.. I can do all that (not as good or efficiently as Abby... but I can manage)... But in a Abby's my WHOLE LIFE kinda way. I missed her for everything, Mornings were a bit less colorful, Days were way longer, coming home was cold and empty, and the whole world was a bit less sunny--even for Arizona.


Londyn came into our lives a couple months ago and I can't tell you the range of emotions that I've had with this whole being a new dad thing. Honestly, Abby is amazing at everything but especially when it comes to Londyn. I am seriously in awe of how good of a mom she instantly became. When Abby does eye lash extension appointments it falls on me to keep Londyn alive for maybe two hours while Abby's doing her thing...and I struggle at that :). I have no idea what Abby does that makes that baby happy... but she does it so well. I thank the good Lord that I have Abby and that she can take care of my beautiful baby girl. Nothing like holding your own little girl to prove to you that your wife has to be an angel to give you such a wonderful gift.


I had the chance to "Bless" (see the WIki-Link at bottom if you have questions about what that is) Londyn on Easter Sunday. Let me just say, Easter is my favorite. When I lived in Venezuela as a missionary I had the best experiences with Easter. During Easter, I saw and felt miracles, watched many of God's chosen children be baptized, and gained a testimony of the resurrection and atonement of Jesus Christ that will be with me forever. In Venezuela, Easter is a series of celebrations that start with a fast (Lent), honor friday as the day our Lord laid down His life, celebrate the noble entry of the Lord into Jerusalem, portray the Lords crucifixion, suffering, death, and celebrate His Resurrection. There aren't as many easter bunnies, new dresses, egg hunts and bags of candy but there is a unique holiness to a celebration that I miss every time I remember those brown eyes that listened intently to gringo spanish share their hearts' testimony of Jesus Christ. Through those brown eyes, I came to an understanding and testimony of why we celebrate Easter. And that reason is simply that we all--especially me-- will fall short of what is required of us and we need a Savior who will fill that gap and allow us to return home.


This Easter I added a new experience to why Easter is my favorite Holliday. I held a new angel, an angel that looks a bit like me and a lot like her mom.. and I gained a new appreciation of Easter and the gift that the Lord gave to us all. Londyn was blessed in a 106 year old dress that was her great-great grandmother's... pretty amazing story. The hands that made that dress have long ago returned to their maker to claim their reward; but that dress continues on. Much like life, we are here for but a moment but we can leave a legacy that lives on through our children. During the "Blessing," as I held my baby, with my Dad on my right...and our Father looking down... I realized what a gift it is that, on Easter Sunday some 2000 years ago, the tomb was empty. With His sacrifice and resurrection the Lord gave us life everlasting. His gift will save us from ourselves and our wrongs, and will make right all the wrongs of this imperfect life. Jesus Christ preformed the atonement for all those who came before me, all those who surround me, and all those who will come after me. What a blessing and what a great day to commemorate the empty tomb, the risen Lord, and the gift of Life.


Londyn will forever be my reminder of Easter. I will always be grateful to my Angel Abby for giving me Londyn and I will forever be indebted to a Savior who paved the way so that I can be with my family forever. I hope that you, whoever you may be, had a wonderful Easter and were able to reflect on the celebration of the gift of our Lord Jesus Christ. If you haven't already, please take a minute and watch the Easter story here:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAuaSpJ7zGs.


The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints did a great job on these videos:



Wish You the Best!


Sincerely,

Gabriel Valenzuela



What is a Blessing?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_and_blessing_children



I thought you'd like to see how amazingly cute my daughter is. Enjoy!
























No comments: